The Climate Change Board is all about individuals and the organisations they represent making things happen, working collaboratively and utilising resources to lead on the climate change agenda. The Board will be resolute in facing the growing challenges of resource consumption, pollution, loss of biodiversity and greenhouse gas emissions and their impacts on the environment, society and the economy. The Board will analyse issues, be challenging and innovative in solving problems, be task focused identifying opportunities, the necessary resources and priorities for action.
Terms of Reference
1.0 Vision and purpose
1.1 “Creating a globally competitive City which provides a good quality of life to all of its citizens that is home to the Green Industrial revolution with a vibrant circular
economy that provides a zero carbon environmentally sustainable and healthy future.”
1.2 To build an active partnership across the public, private, charitable and community sectors to set individual and collective goals, working in partnership with communities in an integrated way to transform Coventry into a sustainable zero carbon city.
2.0 Membership – the stakeholders
2.1 The Council, public agencies, local businesses, charitable and community Organisations.
3.1 The Board will work collaboratively towards a common goal in developing a zerocarbon sustainable city by:
a) Developing a multi-agency strategy which identifies the issues that need to be addressed by the collective and collaborative actions of the Partnership
b) Securing commitments and agreeing roles and responsibilities for delivering specific integrated initiatives and actions within a comprehensive Action Plan which addresses sustainability through the following five International Council for local Environmental Initiatives development pathways:
1 Low Emission Development
2 Nature Based Development
3 Equitable and People Centred Development
4 Resilient Development
5 Circular Economy Development
c) Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness in delivering actions across the Partnership and agreeing remedial action where necessary.
d) Monitoring the state of the city and the effectiveness of the Action Plan in delivering the intended outcomes and the production of an annual (or bi annual) ‘State of the City Report’ identifying progress and its impact upon the quality of life of local people.
e) Reviewing progress and revising commitments and actions for change
f) Providing advice and support and lobbying for changes in national and regional Policy.
4.0 Roles and Responsibilities
- To raise awareness of Climate Change and Sustainability and to identify strategic priorities and a develop a Strategy and policy framework for the city in relation to other national and regional sustainability and climate change strategies
- To work collaboratively in changing the culture of the organisations across the Partnership to assist their respective workforces to work in a more environmentally conscious and sustainable way.
- To share information and commission research to better understand issues as they relate to the development of a zero carbon sustainable city.
- To provide advice and guidance to key decision makers on matters concerning sustainability and climate change. To combine expertise and collectively problem solve issues which impact upon sustainability and climate change.
- To play a key role in supporting the development of new innovative services, products and technologies which place Coventry as a centre for the development of environmental technologies in the global economy creating sustainable wealth and jobs for the citizens of Coventry
- To identify solutions and secure resources and commitments from across the Partnership towards individual and collective actions which address sustainable development issues
- To develop a city-wide Action Plan that everyone signs up to.
- To generate investment and secure resources for programmes and projects identified in the Action Plan.
- To monitor and evaluate progress and to share data and intelligence to develop training and resources to improve skills and knowledge.
5.1 All meetings will be Chaired by the independent chair and in her or his absence by the Vice Chair and will be held at least on a quarterly basis.
5.2 A meeting with require at least a third of its membership to be present in order to be quorate.
5.3 Decisions will be made by consensus. If not possible the Chair will have the casting vote.
5.4 Meetings of the Main Board will be held quarterly where appropriate working group meetings will be held to progress matters set by the Board and individuals or organisations may be co-opted to assist where necessary.
6.0 Amendments, Modification or Variation
6.1 This Terms of Reference may be amended, varied or modified in writing after consultation and agreement of the Climate Change Board