by Robyn Mcsharry
Coventry Tree Warden Network (CTWN)  aims to maintain and increase tree cover, raise awareness on their importance to our health and wellbeing; particularly when it comes to building developments, as well as their role as carbon sinks to mitigate climate change.
Establishing new community woodlands comes with costs; buying the land, sourcing tree saplings, protection, and ongoing maintenance. Saplings are essential for planning a new woodland, extending an existing one, or planting hedgerows. Luckily, there are ways to obtain the funding needed for tree saplings from the Woodland Trust. If you are not a member of CTWN, no worries, as you can still receive the funding that you need.
If organisations or communities in Coventry aim to plant 500+ trees, covering half a hectare, they can save money with funding applications for the Woodland Trust MOREwoods scheme . If planting 500+ trees on half a hectare, MOREwoods can maximise the benefits by helping groups to design their woodlands, adding a range of species to increase resilience to disease, supply the chosen trees and tree protection, and cover up to 75% of costs. For anyone in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, who needs a contractor to plant the trees, MOREwoods can pay 60% of costs for woodlands exceeding a hectare.
The Woodland Trust provides free trees for schools and communities too , with the aim to give all UK residents the opportunity to plant a tree. When appropriate, the charity gives trees to schools and communities. Here are some key considerations:
- The Woodland Trust gives tree planting grants in the Autumn. Professional landscapers often plant trees in colder months when it is easier to dig the ground, less maintenance is needed, and it is easier for trees to establish their root systems.
- Know the six-digit grid reference for the land where you wish to plant trees; use the grid reference finder.
- Get planting permission from the legal landowner
- Use the website’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) List , to assist your application.
Good luck with your next tree planting project. I wish readers all the best 🙂
Links for further information
- Coventry Tree Warden Network https://ctwn.org.uk/
- MOREwoods https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/plant-trees/large-scale-planting/morewoods/
- Free Trees for Schools and Communities https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/plant-trees/schools-and-communities/
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on free trees for schools and communities https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/plant-trees/schools-and-communities/frequently-asked-questions/
- What is the best time of the year to plant trees or shrubs? https://www.paramountplants.co.uk/blog/index.php/best-time-to-plant/