To help protect our planet in the weeks before World Environment Day (5 June), the Environmental Sustainability Rotary Action Group (ESRAG) want to encourage everyone to undertake activities that positively impact their local community environment – to THINK GLOBALLY AND ACT LOCALLY!
They therefore invite everyone to complete one activity every week for five weeks between 1st May and 5th June 2021. They have produced the World Environment Day Countdown Calendar with a list of suggested activities, although you can choose your own activity.
Make the world environment day a fun opportunity to promote respect and value for a greener environment among your family members, neighbours, friends, and the wider community.
Examples of activities
- going for a walk or cycling at least every other day;
- buying goods free from plastic wrapping – a no plastic two weeks;
- turning the thermostat down one degree;
- litter picking once a week in your local community;
- building a compost heap in own garden to recycle household food waste;
- planting an insect-loving tree or volunteering with a tree-planting and -maintaining project;
- buying refillable products and using refill outlets;
- taking a photo of a native tree, some spring flowers, or birds or other wildlife;
- replacing light bulbs with LEDs;
- watching an environmentally-related documentary;
- feeding the birds or putting a bug house in the garden;
- having a meat-free week or vegan week;
- filling one bag for a charity shop.
Upon completion of each activity, ESRAG invite participants to complete a quick online form to register their activity at http://bit.ly/ESRAGForm. All successful completions will receive a recognition certificate and be eligible to enter a prize draw on 5th June 2021.
Download the calendar here