Coventry Councillor Jim O’Boyle, who is responsible among other things for Climate Change, has repeatedly claimed that Coventry has already declared a climate emergency.
To establish whether this claim is justified, Coventry Climate Action Network organiser, Philip Brown, explores the following questions:
- What does it mean to Declare a Climate Emergency?
- Has Coventry ever declared one?
- If it has, where is Coventry’s Climate Action Plan to deal with the emergency?
Philip concludes that Coventry has never declared a climate emergency and he then examines the following questions:
- Why hasn’t Coventry declared one?
- Does it matter?
- Is the city ever likely to declare one?
- What can be done about this situation?