Date(s) - 11/03/2022
10:30 - 12:00
Coventry Green New Deal will be organising a “People’s Climate Conference” at 10:30-12pm on 11 March in Room L4, Science Concourse, Warwick University.
This is in response to the invite only Climate Conference being organised by Warwickshire County Council and Coventry City Council on the same day.
Attendees at the People’s Climate Conference will be protesting at the start of the Councils’ conference about their exclusion. See here for details.
What would a People’s Climate Strategy look like?
The conference will discuss what a People’s Climate Strategy might be like. Below are some of the ideas and principles already suggested.
A People’s Climate Strategy would:
- Include people of all ages, backgrounds, characteristics, abilities, needs etc
- Educate, including elected representatives who are responsible for enacting climate policies who can draw on the wealth of existing knowledge and experience within the communities are currently being excluded
- Learn from other councils and places across the world that have embarked on inclusive and effective climate strategies
- Utilise multiple modes of communication, including online
- Address the urgent material needs of residents and communities, for example fuel poverty
- Be appealing, it would signal something new and attract people that may not ordinarily engage in climate action, but who afre nonetheless concerned about climate change and the health of our natural environment
- Be committed to a “just transition”, in which any workers displaced by climate action are found new, meaningful, unionised jobs in the green economy